WHY NUCLEAR?

Image by Maddison McMurrin
Air pollution

Air pollution from fossil fuels takes millions of lives per year. Children are affected above all by avoidable lung and cardiovascular disease.

Nuclear energy emits no pollution, so communities living near nuclear plants can enjoy clean air.

Asset 2_2x.png
Image by Alto Crew
Climate change

Climate change is not just an ecological crisis. It is a humanitarian one. It threatens to worsen health conditions as weather intensifies and diseases migrate to new geographies.

Nuclear energy fights climate change by deeply decarbonizing our electricity. Per kilowatt-hour, nuclear emits only 12 grams of carbon dioxide, compared to 490 grams from natural gas, and requires no backup power or storage.

Countries around the world have permanently displaced fossil fuels by switching to nuclear power.

Asset 1_2x.png
Image by National Cancer Institute
Radiation

Decades of misinformation have framed radiation as a threat to humans and nuclear energy as a dangerous source of this radiation.

It might sound alarming, but radiation is all around us. About 85% of the radiation we receive in our lives comes from natural sources in our environment. Of the remaining 15%, nearly all comes from medical imaging and therapies that save lives

In fact, nuclear reactors are used to produce the radionuclides such as Cobalt-60 that we use for medicine, medical instrument sterilization, food safety, and much more.

Nuclear energy is a minuscule source of radiation to the environment and people, including the workers who spend their days at the plants, supplying their communities with emission-free, reliable electricity. This is because of sophisticated and highly-regulated practices for handling and storing spent fuel, plus a sector-wide obsession with safety.

Asset 3_2x.png